Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pushing Back the Curtain


I've been thinking about this faith/learning/technology mystery for a while now, and am only just now getting around to posting. I see a little bit of the integration when I'm writing papers and studying for New Testament class. For papers, sometimes I use Bible verses. It's a lot easier to go to Biblegateway.com and type in the phrase I want than to dig through my Bible for a reference. But that seems a weak integration. I could get along fine without the technology. It doesn't really have much to do with my faith, quite frankly.

I really need to define technology. It could mean computer technology, obviously, and that's what I've been thinking about, since this is, after all, a computer class. But really, technology is anything human-made. An axe is technology. So is the physical equipment I use in biology lab. So that's where I turned to next.

Just yesterday, I extracted my own DNA from my own cheek cells and poked at it with an unbent paper clip. The fact that all my genetic makeup was contained in that stringy glob of clear, thread-like structures was amazing. God made me out of that? That's how he told my body what to look like? He knit me from that tiny, delicate yarn? He knit everybody from such yarn? It seemed so impossible, at the same time so simple, and yet still amazing. My God is very great. That's what I learned from using the seemingly simple technology of test tubes, salt water, and ethanol. The technology helped me to learn about science, and about my God. Now that's integration!

No comments:

Post a Comment