Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spring



A hummingbird zips up to my third-story dorm window and sips from the hummingbird feeder suction cupped to the glass. So cute. Their little wings, little feet, little selves. They're tiny little bundles of magic.

I know a lot about hummingbirds. Well, birds in general, but I'm talking about hummingbirds now. They can't walk or hop on their tiny feet; they fly everywhere they want to go. They're literally helpless on the ground. Hummers are also the only birds that have the ability to move in every direction in flight; straight up, straight down, left, right, forward, and even backward. Their wings move so fast that you can hardly see them. Their feathers are iridescent, and the colors can only be seen at exactly the right angle. Otherwise, they look black.

God made hummingbirds. And seeing them reminds me of just how creative He is. I mean, I never would have thought to make such a tiny bird with such special abilities.

This is the first time I've had a hummingbird feeder. But I already knew all this information about hummers. How, if I'd hardly ever seen them? Books. Magazines. Online databases. Text books. All of those are part or results of technology. Ever since the printing press, the written word has been massively circulated. Field guides are very popular nowadays. They contain information on birds, trees, plants, and even rocks, depending on the book, all in a compact, portable form. Very convenient. I have several field guides for birds, a few for plants, and two for mammals. When I want to look up something in the house, if I'm not too curious about the organism itself, I type in the description to Google Images, and pictures will pop up. It's a fast way to get the information I want.

By learning about hummingbirds through books and my own observations, I learn about God. Have you ever seen the structure of an iridescent feather? It's really something. The light reflects off it just right, and a flash of color greets you. Beautiful. And who made that feather? I sure know.

No comments:

Post a Comment